Culloden Battlefield Memorial Centre
The Culloden Battlefield Memorial Centre is the result of an international design competition held by the National Trust for Scotland in 2004.The project includes the reinterpretation and reinstatement of the landscape of the battlefield. The new 2400sqm centre was designed in collaboration with international exhibition designers Ralph Appelbaum, and with input from historians and archaeologists. The new centre includes a series of controlled exhibition spaces, educational space, restaurant, shop and support facilities, as well as a landscaped roof platform that offers panoramic views over the battlefield, a war grave for over 1500 soldiers. The building itself has also been designed as a model for environmental sustainability. It is positioned to reduce wind-chill and take advantage of natural daylight. Its heavily insulated envelope is clad in locally sourced larch, Caithness stone and site-salvaged field stone, and the underfloor heating is powered by a woodchip burning biomass boiler system, supplied from local forestry sources.
PROJECT: Culloden Battlefield Memorial Centre
LOCATION: Culloden Moor, near Inverness
ARCHITECT: Gareth Hoskins Architects Limited
STRUCTURAL ENGINEER: David Narro Associates
SERVICES ENGINEER: Max Fordham LLP
QUANTITY SURVEYOR: Thomas & Adamson
Back to Public
Features & Reports
For more information from the industry visit our Features & Reports section.