Terms & ConditionsThe following terms apply to your use of the Urban Realm website ('the Website') and all content which may be accessed in several ways, including but not limited to the world wide web, PDA, mobile devices and RSS feeds. These terms and conditions apply whenever you access Urban Realm's content, on whatever device. By using this website you are deemed to have accepted the following conditions.
Terms & Conditions of Use
1. Copyright of the Website is owned by Urban Realm Ltd. The Website content must not be copied or reproduced, used or otherwise dealt with for any other reason. You are not entitled to modify or redistribute the content of the Website without the express written permission of Urban Realm Ltd. You are not entitled to use the content of the Website for commercial exploitation in any circumstances.
2. The names, images and logos identifying Urban Realm Ltd, are proprietary marks of Urban Realm Ltd, and/or may be the proprietary marks of third parties. Any use made of these marks without obtaining permission may be an infringement of rights in those marks and Urban Realm Ltd reserves all rights to enforce such rights.
3. Content on the Website is provided for general information only to inform you about industry developments which may be of interest. At no point does it constitute legal advice (or any other type of advice) and should not be relied upon for this purpose.
4. Urban Realm Ltd is providing the content in good faith but no warranty or representation is given that the content is accurate, complete or up to date. Use of content on the Website is entirely at your own risk. Urban Realm Ltd takes reasonable precautions to prevent computer viruses and other malicious programs on the Website and no liability is accepted for them and you must take your own precautions in this respect.
5. Information transmitted via this Website will pass over public telecommunications networks. Urban Realm Ltd makes no representation or warranty that the operation of this Website will be interrupted or error free and disclaims all liability in respect thereof.
6. This Website contains links to other websites. Urban Realm Ltd accepts no responsibility or liability for any material supplied by or contained on any third party website which is linked from or to this Website, or any use of personal data by such a third party. The inclusion of any link on the Website does not imply endorsement by Urban Realm of the linked site. If you decide to access linked third party websites, you do so at your own risk.
7. Parts of the Site contain advertising and sponsorship. Individual advertisers are solely responsible for the content of advertising material, which they submit to us, including ensuring that it complies with relevant legislation. We accept no responsibility for the content of advertising material, including, without limitation, any error, omission or inaccuracy therein.
8. Force majeure
Although we will do our best to provide constant, uninterrupted access to the Website, we do not guarantee this. We accept no responsibility or liability for any interruption or delay.
9. Changes to these Terms & Conditions We can change these Terms at any time, without notice, and your continued use of the Services after any change we make will mean that you agreed with the changes. IN THE EVENT THAT YOU DO NOT AGREE TO ANY CHANGE, PLEASE DO NOT ACCESS OR USE THE SERVICES IN ANY MANNER FOR ANY PURPOSE.
10. These terms and Conditions shall be governed in accordance with Scottish law.
CVs and job advertisements
Job advertisements contained on the site are provided by prospective employers and their agents and are not necessarily reviewed by Urban Realm Ltd. Urban Realm Ltd accepts no responsibility or liability for the contents of advertisements and expect candidates to carry out such verification procedures as are necessary and prudent in the circumstances.
Recruitment consultancies and employment businesses
If you are a recruitment consultancy or an employment business (as defined by the Employment Agencies Act 1973 ('the Act')) it is your responsibility to ensure that advertisements and job postings you place on urbanrealm.com comply with your obligations under the Act and Conduct of Employment Agencies and Employment Businesses Regulations 2004 and all other legislation. You agree to comply with the Act and these regulations as they affect the conduct of your business and the advertisements you place on www.urbanrealm.com.
Job Advertisement Rules
Urban Realm Ltd has rules regarding the content and format of jobs posted on urbanrealm.com. The rules ensure the user receives a fair and clear response from using the website. You agree that we may, at our discretion and without liability to you, remove from urbanrealm.com any advertisement which is posted in breach of these rules. The rules may change from time to time and you are advised to refer to them regularly.
Advertisements which appear to discriminate on grounds of sex, race or disability are illegal and may result in proceedings being taken against both the advertiser and the publisher. If we believe that an advertisement may be discriminatory we may at our discretion either amend the advertisement or remove it from urbanrealm.com without liability to you to make any refund of amounts paid or due to be paid in respect of the posting or otherwise and will inform you accordingly.
Responses to advertisements
Advertisers agree to deal fairly and professionally with individuals who respond to an advertisement that have been posted and not do anything which may bring urbanrealm.com into disrepute. You will indemnify us from and against any claim brought by an individual against urbanrealm.com arising from your breach of this obligation or any other of these terms and conditions.
Urban Realm Ltd does not guarantee any response to your advertisement nor that responses will be from individuals suitable for the advertised job. It is your responsibility to carry out such checks and procedures as are necessary to ensure that candidates are suitable for the job advertised and have the required qualifications and personal characteristics.
Content and links
Advertisers are responsible for maintaining the links and for the content of your advertisement and the linked site. We may remove from urbanrealm.com any advertisement which contains content or links to a site which, in our opinion, is defamatory, illegal or objectionable or will bring Urban Realm into disrepute. You will indemnify us from and against any claims or liability arising from content or links contained in your advertisements.
Subscription Terms and Conditions
“Annual Subscription Fee” means the sum specified as such in the Order Confirmation (or Renewal Notice as the case may be);
“Agreement” means the terms and conditions of supply set out in this document together with any other terms and conditions agreed in writing between you and the Company;
“Company” means Urban Realm Ltd, a company incorporated in Scotland with registered number SC and having its registered office at 2G Garnet Court, G4 9NT, Glasgow.
“Initial Term” means the period of 12 months commencing on the Subscription Start Date;
“Order Confirmation” means the written acceptance of your order issued by the Company to the address, fax number or e-mail address provided by you in your Purchase Request which, immediately upon issue shall conclude the contract between the parties;
“Purchase Request” means your written request for the supply of products and/or services from the Company and for the avoidance of doubt, shall include such requests as may be submitted via the Company’s website;
“Renewal Notice” means the written notice to be served on you by the Company no less than 45 days prior to the expiry of the Initial Term which shall advise of automatic and indefinite extension of the Subscription Period for further 12 month periods until written notice of termination is received from you in terms of clause 6 hereof;
“Subscription Period” means the Initial Term and any extended period; and
“Subscription Start Date” means the date specified as such in the Order Confirmation.
This is an Agreement between you and the Company;
The Agreement does not affect your statutory rights.
3. Agreement Period
Unless specifically agreed otherwise by the Company in the Order Confirmation, this Agreement shall be in force for the Initial Term and for the duration of any extension thereof.
4. Cancellation and Refund
You may cancel the Agreement at any time before the end of the period of 14 days starting on the Subscription Start Date. To cancel, you must notify the Company in writing within the time period specified. Upon cancellation the Company shall refund any Annual Subscription Fee (or any part thereof) paid by you.
5. Charges and Payment
You understand that, upon submitting a Purchase Request to the Company if the Company issues a Written Confirmation thereafter, you are committing to pay the full Annual Subscription Fee for at least the Initial Term.
Payment is annually in advance. Payment should be made according to the terms outlined on the Written Confirmation.
The company will only commence the delivery of the product or service once the payment has been received.
Unless you cancel the Agreement under clauses 4 or 7 hereof, no refund of the Annual Subscription Fee will be made in the event of cancellation of the Agreement other than if the Agreement is cancelled under either of those clauses.
You agree that the Company may review the Annual Subscription Fee for the products or services it supplies to you. Any such increase would only take effect upon expiry of the Initial Term. The Company will give you one months’ written notice of any increase in the Annual Subscription Fee.
The Annual Subscription Fee shall be exclusive of any value added tax which amount you will pay, where necessary, at the time of payment.
If you fail to pay the Company any sum due under the terms of this Agreement or if you seek to terminate this Agreement except as permitted by its terms, you shall be liable to pay interest to the Company on such outstanding sums from the due date for payment at the annual rate of 4% above the base lending rate from time to time of Royal Bank of Scotland Plc, accruing on a daily basis until payment is made. The Company shall also be entitled to recover its reasonable administration expenses and the fees and expenses (including those of any debt collectors) that it may reasonably and properly incur to recover the outstanding Annual Subscription Fees which are due. Failure to pay the full amount may also result in a suspension of the supply of the product or service. Where the product or service is suspended you will remain liable for any outstanding obligations under this Agreement.
6. Termination by You
a. Subject to the provisions of clauses 4 and 7 hereof, you may not terminate the Agreement in the duration of Initial Term or in the duration of any extension thereof.
b. The Company shall issue a Renewal Notice not less than 45 days prior to the expiry of the Initial Term confirming the Annual Subscription Fee payable for the next 12 month period.
c. To terminate your Agreement with the Company at the expiry of the Initial Term (or at the expiry of any 12 month extension thereafter) you must provide the Company with written notice, that you do not wish your Agreement to be renewed, not less than 14 days prior to the expiry date as specified in the Order Confirmation.
Unless you terminate the Agreement as provided for in clause 6c hereof, the Subscription Period will automatically be extended for a further 12 months and the next year’s Annual Subscription Fee will fall due and payable.
If the Subscription Period is extended pursuant to Clause 6 hereof, the Annual Subscription Fee for the extended period shall be that in force on the date the Initial Term (or the current extended term) expires.
You may terminate the Agreement at any time if the Company commits a serious breach of the Agreement.
7. Changes to the Agreement
The Annual Subscription Fee may be increased by the Company to reflect changes in inflation, additional taxes or other costs that are not imposed by the Company. Any such increase in the Annual Subscription Fee will be notified to you at least one month before it comes into effect. Increases shall not take effect during the Initial Term, except as described in clause 7b hereof.
If there is a change in the rate of VAT or any other tax, or any other tax is imposed, the Company shall be entitled to change the Annual Subscription Fee to reflect such changes, at any time including during the Initial Term. Such changes will only affect you if you pay by installments. The Company will give not less than one month's notice of any increase and the Direct Debit / credit card payment amounts after expiry of such notice will be adjusted accordingly. Any other changes shall take effect as described in the remainder of this clause 7.
The Company reserves the right to make changes to this Agreement on giving you at least one month's prior written notice. If (i) you pay by installments and any changes imposed under this clause 7 either increase the installments payable or are otherwise to your disadvantage during the Initial Term, or (ii) you have paid the Annual Subscription fee in advance and the changes are to your disadvantage, you will have 30 days from the notice date in which to terminate the Agreement. If you terminate the Agreement under clause 7d and you pay by installments, you may stop making payments from one month after the date of the Direct Debit / credit card payment which follows you telling us you wish to terminate. If you have paid the Annual Subscription fee in advance, the Company will repay you an amount equal to the value of the remaining full months' subscription fee less one month.
8. Termination by the Company
The Company may terminate the Agreement immediately on any one of the following grounds:
i. for your fraud (or the Company’s reasonable suspicion of your fraud) in any matter connected to entering into or performing the Agreement;
ii. if you miss a payment and fail to make that payment within 28 days of a request from the Company to make it, or
iii. material breach of the Agreement by you that has not been remedied by you within a reasonable time upon the Company’s request.
If the Company terminates the Agreement under this clause 8, the Company may keep any payments that have been received from you. Where you have paid the Annual Subscription Fee in advance, the Company may refund sums paid for any full months after the termination date but shall be entitled to retain a fair amount to reflect the loss to the Company from terminating the Agreement in such circumstances. This right is without limit any other rights the Company may have against you.
The Company reserves the right to terminate, withdraw or suspend the supply of products or services and the Agreement, at any time for any reason on reasonable notice in writing to you. In such a cancellation event, the Company will refund the fees paid by you in advance for any remaining full months after the termination date.
10. Assignment and Resale
This Agreement is for a single user. The use of the products or services provided under the terms of this Agreement is limited to one designated user. The use of the service by more than one individual user or company, either simultaneously or otherwise will require the provision of additional subscriptions.
You will not without prior written consent of the Company re-assign, re-sell or in any other way transfer the product or service or any of your rights or obligations under the terms of this Agreement. The Company may transfer all or any part of its rights or obligations under this Agreement to another party in which event your rights and obligations under the Agreement will not be affected.
11. Force Majeure
The Company will not be liable for failure to perform any obligation under this Agreement if such failure is caused by the occurrence of any unforeseen contingency or circumstances beyond the reasonable control of the Company, including without limitation Internet outages, communications outages, fire, flood war or act of God.
These terms shall survive any termination of this Agreement.
a. Any notice to be given under or in connection with the Agreement shall be in writing and signed by or on behalf of the party giving it and shall be served by delivering it personally or sending it by pre-paid recorded delivery or guaranteed delivery, in the case of the Company to the address or e-mail address and marked for the attention of the individuals set out in Condition 12b, and in the case of you to the address or e-mail address and marked for the attention of the individual set out in the Purchase Request. Any such notice shall be deemed to have been received:-
i. if delivered personally, at the time of delivery;
ii. in the case of recorded or guaranteed delivery post, forty eight (48) hours from the date of posting; and
iii. in the case of e-mail, at the time of completion of transmission, as evidenced by a transmission report confirming that the e-mail was successfully transmitted.
b. Urban Realm Ltd
For the attention of: Subscription Manager
2G Garnet Court, G4 9NT, Glasgow
The Company’s liability for any breach of the Agreement shall be limited to the value of the Annual Subscription Fee.
The Company shall not in any event be liable for: (i) any loss of profit, revenue, business, contract, goodwill, or other financial or economic loss or damage; or (ii) any indirect loss or damage which is not reasonably foreseeable as likely to occur in the ordinary course of events.
The Company does not exclude or restrict its liability for fraud, death or personal injury resulting from its negligence or that of its agents or for any other liability that it cannot restrict or exclude by law, and nothing in this clause 13 shall operate to exclude, restrict or limit this liability.
The Company shall not accept any amendments to this Agreement unless signed by an authorised signatory of the Company.
If any provision of this Agreement is held to be invalid or unenforceable, such provision shall be struck out and the remaining provisions shall remain enforceable.
The failure of the Company to exercise or enforce any right or provision of this Agreement shall not constitute a waiver of such a right. This Agreement constitutes the entire agreement between you and the Company.
The terms of this Agreement shall be governed by the laws of Scotland and are subject to the non-exclusive jurisdiction of the Scottish courts.
The Annual Subscription will start with the first magazine published from the time the payment has been received. Urban Realm publishes four (4) magazines annually on a (3) tri-monthly basis. You will start receiving magazines from the nearest period of this publishing cycle.
- Users of the Urban Realm Website may submit material for publication in sections of the Website. Urban Realm Ltd accepts no liability in respect of any material submitted by users and published by Urban Realm Ltd and Urban Realm Ltd is not responsible for its content or accuracy.
- If you want to submit material to the Website you may do so on the following terms and conditions:
- Publication of any material you submit will be at the sole discretion of Urban Realm Ltd and Urban Realm Ltd is entitled to make additions or deletions to any such material prior to publication, or to refuse publication.
- You grant Urban Realm Ltd a non-exclusive, perpetual, royalty-free license to republish any material you submit in any format, and you warrant to Urban Realm Ltd that any material you submit is your own work and that you own the copyright and all relevant rights.
- You warrant that the material you submit is not obscene, offensive, defamatory or otherwise illegal.
- You agree not to post material that is deliberately intended to upset other users.
- You acknowledge that any breach of these warranties may cause Urban Realm Ltd damage or loss and agree to indemnify Urban Realm Ltd in full and permanently against any third party liabilities, claims, costs, loss or damage incurred by Urban Realm Ltd as a result of publishing any material you submit to us, including consequential loss.
- Directory content including Microsites and company profiles (text and images) must not be used to advertise jobs or vacancies. Any jobs or vacancies must be advertised within the Website recruitment section.
Our House Rules
To ensure that our readers can enjoy Urban Realm to the fullest we've established the following House Rules. Comments which fail to adhere to any of these conditions of use will be deleted and repeat offenders may lose the ability to pass further comment. They include anything which may:
- Appear impersonate toward someone else
- Contain swear words or are otherwise objectionable
- Be considered likely to disrupt, provoke, attack or offend others
- Be racist, sexist, homophobic, sexually explicit, abusive or otherwise objectionable
- Contain swear words or other language likely to offend
- Break the law or condone or encourage unlawful activity. This includes breach of copyright, defamation and contempt of court.
- Advertise products or services for profit or gain
- Be seen to impersonate someone else
- Contain links to other websites which break our editorial guidelines
- Describe or encourage activities which could endanger the safety or well-being of others
- Be considered to be "spam", that is posts containing the same, or similar, content posted multiple times
- Be considered to be off-topic for the discussion
Urban Realm welcomes feedback, both positive and negative, but please make sure your comments are in line with the above House Rules.
What is moderation?
Comments on our pages are checked by our editorial team to make the our site a safe and enjoyable place to be, and ensure that they meet the House Rules.
The page author or editor does not usually moderate the content of our pages, although it is their job to keep the discussions relevant to the topic and within the our guidelines. They may close off-topic or other rule-breaking discussions, and sometimes make a decision on comments that have been referred to them by our readers.
Why must we have moderation?
We allow as much freedom as possible to have relevant discussions on our pages. However, we are also responsible for making sure that these discussions stay polite, safe and relevant and do not violate any laws or our editorial policies. This is why we have a set of House Rules that we ask everyone to follow. We only remove messages that break these House Rules.
Moderation is necessary so all users can participate in online communities without fear of intimidation by other users or being subjected to offensive content. Also, people may intentionally or unintentionally post content that is unlawful, putting themselves as well as us at risk of legal action.
Please take care when copying text from someone else's post into your own. If the text you have copied into your post is seen to break the House Rules, your entire post will be removed.
How do you moderate the comments?
Every single comment is checked before it appears on our website.
Reasons for failing a comment
Urban Realm welcomes feedback, both positive and negative, about our stories and news but please make sure your comments are in line with the House Rules. Repeatedly posting personal or offensive comments about individual members of the public or people who work for the Urban Realm may be considered harassment. We reserve the right to remove such messages and take action against those responsible.
We reserve the right to fail messages which:
Advertise a product
Advertising or promoting products or websites is not allowed anywhere on urbanrealm.com. This may include links to:
- Personal websites or forums
- Surveys and questionnaires
- Commercial websites or auction sites that mainly exist to sell products
- Details of charity or fundraising events
Contributions which are not in English are not allowed. This is because we have to ensure comments can be checked and to ensure that all readers of the blogs understand the comment.
In addition to this, postings with heavy text speak or unintelligible language such as codes are also not allowed as this may disrupt the natural flow of conversation.
Risk breaking UK law
Contributing material to a urbanrealm.com community with the intention to commit a crime, break the law, or condone or encourage unlawful activity is prohibited.
In addition we may remove posts which we consider could endanger other users - for example, offering medical and health advice, or encouraging drug or alcohol abuse or self harm.
Copyright law exists to stop someone from taking another person's work and passing it off as their own. It applies to the internet in the same way as it does to TV, books and the press. Breaking copyright law can result in being taken to court.
Please do not post large chunks of text copied from other sources as this may be an infringement of copyright. Short quotes to illustrate a point may be permissible, although this is at our discretion.
Contain potentially defamatory statements
Defamation laws exist to protect individuals or organisations from unwarranted, mistaken or untruthful attacks on their reputation. Posting a defamatory statement on a news page is the same as publishing it in a newspaper or magazine and can result in a court case if a formal complaint is made.
To avoid breaking defamation laws in your comments, please ensure that you verify the information in your posting, especially when presenting negative statements as facts. Also avoid jumping to conclusions, exaggerating or making subtle implications. Remember that adding the word 'allegedly' to a statement does not stop it being defamation.
Both you and the Urban Realm can be held liable if you make a defamatory statement on the our website. So we will remove comments where we have insufficient evidence to defend publication of your statement. This means the our editors may err on the side of caution when considering some comments.
Are abusive or disruptive
Abusive or disruptive behaviour is not allowed on our pages. This includes:
- Using swear words (including abbreviations or alternative spellings) or other language likely to offend.
- Harassing, threatening or causing distress or inconvenience to any person or people.
- Flaming: This means posting something that's angry and mean-spirited.
- Trolling: This means saying deliberately provocative things just to stir up trouble.
- Infringing the rights of, restrict or inhibit anyone else's use and enjoyment of urbanrealm.com
- Attempting to impersonate somebody
- Using multiple accounts to disrupt pages, annoy users, or to avoid pre-moderation.
- Bumping or creating duplicate threads, posting in such a way as to cause technical errors, or any other attempts to disrupt the normal flow of conversation.
Comments that contain offensive content are not allowed on our pages. Racist, sexist, homophobic, disablist, sexually explicit, abusive or otherwise objectionable material will be removed and if extreme will result in immediate and permanent restriction of your access to urbanrealm.com.
Comments that are unrelated to the subject of the news post entry to which you are contributing are considered 'off-topic'.
Please do not contribute off-topic material in news pages. If your comment has been removed for being off-topic, you may be able to resubmit your comment in a more constructive way.
Risk contempt of court
Once a suspect is arrested for an offence, or offences, legal restrictions apply. The 1981 Contempt of Court Act makes it a serious criminal offence, once someone's been arrested, to publish anything which could prejudice their trial. Being arrested doesn't in itself indicate guilt, so messages posted to the page which presume a suspect is guilty also risk defaming the suspect.
Please use caution when discussing reports of an arrest or court proceedings. Even linking to archived news stories, blog entries and comments may be unlawful as UK contempt law would usually prohibit any reference to the previous conviction(s) of someone facing new court proceedings.
In addition, courts sometimes impose restrictions that prohibit the publication of specific information such as names and addresses of defendants.
Spamming or flooding is not allowed on our pages. Spamming means submitting the same or very similar contribution many times across blogs or entries. Flooding means re-submitting your contribution to the same blog or entry multiple times.
Please do not use a signature beneath your comment to promote websites, services, products or campaigns. This will cause your posts to be removed as spam.
Customer service contact details
Urban Realm Ltd
0141 356 5333
2G Garnet Court,