Mackintosh at the Willow
Simpson & Brown worked with the Willow Tea Rooms Trust to help restore the 1903 Charles Rennie Mackintosh designed Willow Tea Rooms and create a world class exhibition and education centre in the adjacent building.
Appointed as project architect following an international competition and competitive interview in September 2015, S&B initially produced a comprehensive Conservation Plan & Condition Survey of both buildings in 2014. The project combines old with the new, contrasting the original splendour of the only Mackintosh designed tea room with the modern interior of the new exhibition space.
Located on Sauchiehall Street in the centre of Glasgow, the new centre will provide a shop, exhibition, conference facilities, education room and offices as well as providing amenities such as lifts which make both buildings accessible without impacting on the Tea Rooms. The Tea Rooms will be restored to how Mackintosh intended when they were opened in 1903, including over 400 pieces of furniture.