The Old Tolbooth (B-listed c.1770) is a prominent waterfront building which had fallen into decline. The RLNI was looking for new premises to replace its shore station so it was decided to restore and convert the Old Tolbooth for this purpose. The project was developed in consultation with Historic Scotland, including replication of the original clocktower which had been removed in 1927.
PROJECT: Old Tolbooth
CLIENT: Royal National Lifeboat Institution
ARCHITECT: Peter Johnson Partnership
STRUCTURAL ENGINEER: Arch Henderson & Partners
QUANTITY SURVEYOR: David Adamson & Partners
Back to Historic Buildings & Conservation
Features & Reports
For more information from the industry visit our Features & Reports section.