Notre Dame Primary welcomes first pupils
Send to friend
* Required fields
August 23 2013
Situated within the former Dowanhill Primary the new building combines Notre Dame with St Peter’s Primary and houses a total of 15 classrooms, games hall, library and relocated Anderson Street Nursery.
These are incorporated in a new build block within the grounds of the existing C listed school, which has itself been extensively upgraded.
Works included the installation of new perimeter railings and gates, landscaped playgrounds and a new raised deck connection to the adjacent Dowanhill Park.
Designed by Glasgow City Council the new school is finished in a terracotta rain screen cladding system designed to gel with the red sandstone of the historic school.
In their design statement GCC observed: "Teaching methods and social attitudes have changed beyond recognition since 1896, with ample evidence embodied in the fabric of Dowanhill School.
"The design team, the client team and the stakeholder groups are confident that the solution achieves the highest design standards and offer the best balance between the multiplicity of conflicting interests as well as value for money."
Four single storey entrance porches and toilets were removed from the historic schools gables as part of the work
Back to August 2013
Like us on Facebook
Become a fan and share
Features & Reports
For more information from the industry visit our Features & Reports section.