B-listed Cathcart Primary refurbishment delivers 49 flats
February 12 2021
A B-listed primary school in Glasgow has been restored as part of work to repurpose the building as affordable housing.
The former Holmlea Primary School in Cathcart has been rejuvenated by Anderson Bell + Christie and the Home Group Scotland who restored the main building while adding two new blocks in complementary red brick to the north, providing 49 apartments in total without compromising the principal facade.
Period features such as balustrades, picture rails, trusses, roof lights and doors were all retained as part of these works with salvaged red sandstone taken from a demolished sports hall used for feature walls and pathways within the grounds. 'Green Peggy' slates salvaged from the school roof were crushed and used as path borders and a statue carved from one of the pillars from the building has been installed.
AB+C director Stuart Russell said: “The focus of our design was to retain as much of the architectural features and history of the building as we could, whilst creating homes that would remain attractive and be fit for purpose, for decades to come.
"We worked with the existing urban grain and curated a well-considered civic frontage which didn’t detract from the original façade. Internally, our ambition was to show respect for the quality of the craftsmanship within the main internal atriums and seek to restore those spaces to their true former glory."
The development will be officially launched once Covid-19 restrictions ease.
Finished photographs courtesy Keith Hunter Photography
Designed by Andrew Balfour in 1908 the Edwardian Baroque building had fallen into an advanced state of decay following its closure in 2004