Timely completion puts Stranraer on the tourist map
January 21 2020
Smith Scott Mullan Architects have completed their conversion of the former Harbourmaster’s office in Stranraer, a key element of the town’s conservation area.
Now in community use the C-listed art deco clock tower serves as a visitor hub for the area following refurbishment of the main tower and construction of a modest brick extension connected via a glazed link.
External landscaping frames an industrial weighbridge, which remains in-situ and largely unaltered from its load carrying days.
Led by Dumfries & Galloway Council the project was part funded by Historic Environment Scotland and the Scottish Government Regeneration Capital Grant Fund.
The original office and clock tower dates from 1938.