Historic Glasgow office building comes full circle
December 11 2019
Faulkner Brown Architects are aiming to bring a historic Glasgow office building full circle by restoring it to its original use as a 149-bed hotel.
The prominent B-listed façade at 250 St Vincent Street dates from 1878 and hides modern concrete-framed office space dating from the 1980s but Union Property Services now intend to repurpose the structure in line with its original guise as The Windsor Hotel.
Melia Hotels have been lined up as an operator for the venture which would entail demolition of a reinforced concrete ‘mansard’ roof to allow the addition of up to three additional floors of accommodation.
As part of these works a car lift void would be infilled with the ground and basement areas reconfigured as ‘front of house’ facilities including conference rooms and a restaurant.
An associated planning statement read: “The development provides significant conservation gain through the careful repair and conservation of the historic façades, remodelling of the internal spaces and reinstating a number of external features which had been lost as part of a 1980’s redevelopment which involved the demolition of the majority of the building where the elevations to St Vincent Street and Douglas Street only were retained.
“The proposed roof extension has been sensitively and carefully designed to mitigate the sense of scale and to complement the existing architectural characteristics of the building.”
The vertical extension is described as a prerequisite for the project to proceed owing to the costs of refurbishment and the constraints of the existing building in terms of restaurant and lounge capacity.
Back to December 2019
Like us on Facebook
Become a fan and share