Morgan McDonnell mount Old Town reprise
July 9 2018
Morgan McDonnell Architects have followed up their Doolan prize winning Advocate’s Close development by authoring new plans for the conversion and extension of disused offices at 15-17 Market Street to form 14 serviced apartments on behalf of The Royal Edinburgh Military Tattoo.
The three-storey tenement was first built back in 1825 before being extended to its current five storey form in 1890. For its latest overhaul an unused attic space will be converted to provide an additional floor of accommodation, with conservation rooflights inserted.
In a statement the architects wrote: “Our proposal for the Market Street (Front) facing Façade is to reinstate the currently infilled dummy windows, which would match adjacent windows in size, type and materiality. This would open up internal spaces to greater natural light levels internally, and provide the building’s façade with a more homogenous relationship with its neighbouring buildings along Market Street, which do not incorporate infilled windows along their street facing aspect.”
Roofscape behind the ridgeline will be clad in zinc with the pitched frontage faced in traditional materials.
Back to July 2018
Like us on Facebook
Become a fan and share