Mast Architects renew demolition application for B-listed Castlemilk Parish Church
July 30 2015renewed an application to demolish the B-listed Castlemilk Parish Church on Carmunnock Road, Glasgow, following expiry of an earlier 2012 application.
This consented to The Church of Scotland demolishing Castlemilk Parish Church only on the proviso that contracts be in place for the redevelopment of the site, which sits within an area of ongoing housing renewal.
Originally designed by Thomas Gratton and peter McLean in 1957-59 the post-war structure was described by Historic Scotland as a ‘powerful composition, redolent of Festival of Britain detailing.’
Making reference to a symbolic ‘ark’ the hall was conceived to resemble a ship’s hold at lower level with coloured and mottled opaque glass lending it an ecclesiastical air.
Back to July 2015
Like us on Facebook
Become a fan and share
Features & Reports
For more information from the industry visit our Features & Reports section.