Christmas Grinch steals Springburn Public Halls
December 29 2012
As most folk were polishing off their turkey leftovers contractors sealed off Keppochill Road to begin a process of dismantling the historic structure, which has lain derelict for a quarter of a century.
That period of inactivity is contrasted by the lightning quick demolition process which has seen the site practically cleared in just two days.
It is claimed that the Edwardian baroque structure, designed by William Brown Whitie in 1899, had deteriorated to such a state that its existence posed a heath and safety issue for locals.
RCAHMS and Historic Scotland have now removed the Halls from their Buildings at Risk register.
The demolition is not without past precedence however; GCC previously knocked down the A listed Coliseum on Bridge Street, Napier House Govan, Elder Park Primary, Dalmarnock tenements and (most infamously) Bath Street’s Elgin Congregational Church which was levelled on Christmas Eve 2004 following a fire.
Back to December 2012
Like us on Facebook
Become a fan and share
Features & Reports
For more information from the industry visit our Features & Reports section.