Newsletter - Links - Advertise - Contact Us - Privacy

Student housing demand prompts Leith residential shift

January 24 2023

Student housing demand prompts Leith residential shift

Plans for more student housing in Edinburgh have been prepared by CA Ventures and Flow Design Architects, transforming a workshop and yard at 27 Arthur Street with 112 residences.

A direct replacement for proposals by Morgan McDonnell Architects for 33 mainstream apartments on the same site the latest plans work to the same scale and footprint as set out previously.

Plans include the creation of a public community garden as well as part of a car-free development that will help reactivate the street frontage.

Employing a set-back upper floor descending to a feature double-height setback on the corner the rear of the scheme reduces to three storeys in height. A change in brick colour from the first-floor level to a lighter hue seeks to further reduce visual impact.

In a comparative design statement, the architects wrote: "A modest 1.3m increase in the height of the consented building is proposed to reflect the increase in floor-to-ceiling heights within the building, maximising the quality of the living space internally. Slight increases in footprint are proposed to meet student accommodation requirements and to improve fire safety by way of an additional escape stair.

"These revised proposals now activate the street frontage with the placement of vibrant and populated social spaces, located on Arthur Street, which provide circa 80% active frontage with the remaining 20% as servicing."

Landscape design by RankinFraser is split between three separate zones of community, private and planted areas. 


Alex Orr
#1 Posted by Alex Orr on 24 Jan 2023 at 15:50 PM
Nice looking proposals, including community garden and active frontage.
Back to the future
#2 Posted by Back to the future on 24 Jan 2023 at 20:39 PM
I spy here with my little eye, the cold dead hand of the Edinburgh Planning Department! Wow! Just look at that corner 'modulate'! Gee Whiz!
#3 Posted by Jezza on 25 Jan 2023 at 10:43 AM
Aw jeezy peeps.
#4 Posted by Stephen on 25 Jan 2023 at 12:10 PM
More cube buildings in Edinburgh. At least the architects have introduced some design/interest on this one and not just designed on a spreadsheet.
#5 Posted by Greig on 25 Jan 2023 at 12:16 PM
Nice touch with the public garden. Hopefully it stays and isnt a victim of the developer cutting costs down the line.
More students though ?
#6 Posted by Roddy on 25 Jan 2023 at 14:16 PM
Looks good
Darren W
#7 Posted by Darren W on 25 Jan 2023 at 17:08 PM
There is literally thousands of Student accommodation going up all across the city. People are crying out for affordable housing and yet these are the main thing being built. There is 8 student accommodation blocks going up right now. 1 Big one off Iona Street. Right infront of my windows. The council need to start putting facilities and affordable homes and not only student accommodation that the university's pay for to profit on students from afar.
#8 Posted by Jenny on 25 Jan 2023 at 17:56 PM
Looks like a solid well considered proposal
#9 Posted by Vice-Chancellor on 25 Jan 2023 at 19:08 PM
#7, private companies developing student accommodation has nothing to do with affordable housing or the Council. That said, I walk past the Iona Street student development twice a day and it looks very good indeed. Far better than the timber yard that was there previously.
#10 Posted by Bonvivant on 27 Jan 2023 at 16:50 PM
A tree, a hedge and a bench does not a community garden make.
#11 Posted by Eric on 4 Feb 2023 at 22:54 PM
How much student housing does Leith, or for that matter, Edinburgh need? Seems like every second building is student housing, so there must be a great deal of money in it.
That design is pretty grim - utilitarian brutalist circa 1960s. Maximum utility at minimum cost, by any chance?

Post your comments


All comments are pre-moderated and
must obey our house rules.


Back to January 2023

Search News
Subscribe to Urban Realm Magazine
Features & Reports
For more information from the industry visit our Features & Reports section.