26 Sep 2007
GLASGOW ARCHITECTURE FOCUS: A number Glasgow architecture practices lead the way with prominent building projects in 2007.
NORD has jumped from being a small emerging Glasgow architecture practice to a two-office-practice after winning a competition to design a new Council HQ in Wexford, Ireland. In additional GM+AD’s Glasgow Harbour project has, along with its neighbours, provoked debate.
Nord also worked on the renovation and redesign of The Hallion, on Bath Street, Glasgow. The development features a Members’ Lounge, Cocktail bar, Restaurant and Private Dining Spaces as well as Conference facilities.
GM+AD has been accused of being akin to both a post-war slab-block and exclusive yuppie residences. In fact the Glasgow Harbour project provides relatively affordable housing, built to a density that will satisfy the developer at the same time as creating well-planned and pleasant homes. GM+AD was also developing its first education building, a school for the visually and sensory impaired in Glasgow’s Dumbreck area, and is set to embark on a major new social services centre for the local authority, as well as the conversion of an art deco cinema into a £25million eight storeys of leisure, retail and office complex.
Glasgow architecture: 2007 new buildings
- Junior Hospitality Academy
- The Boiler House - Collective Architecture
- Canniesburn Residential developement - Holmes Partnership
- Cedar Shed, Paisley - ataSTUDIO
- Clyde Salvage Site Housing - Page\Park Architects
- Dornal Avenue, Yoker - Hypostyle Architects
- Former Further Education Building, Jordanhill - Holmes Partnership
- Linn Park Mansion - jmarchitects
- Miller Street, Hamilton - Hypostyle Architects
- Chatelhernault Primary School, Hamilton - Atkins
- Hazelwood School - gm+ad
- Jesuit Residence and Spirituality Centre - Elder & Cannon
- Williamwood High School - jmarchitects
- Craigholme School Sports Facility - SMC Davis Duncan Architects
- Scottish Media Group Headquarters - SMC Parr Architects Ltd
- Scottish Qualifications Authority - haa design limited
- Sandyford Hub - StudioKAP Chartered Architects
- The Beresford - 3D Architects
Hurd Rolland Partnership Chartered Architects
James F Stephen Architects
Opfer Logan Architects
Boswell Mitchell & Johnston
haa design limited
Groves-Raines Architects Ltd
City Architecture Office Ltd.
SMC Davis Duncan Architects
John Renshaw Architects
Building Design Partnership
Young and Gault Architects
The Miller Partnership
Anderson Bell Christie
Craig & Struthers Chartered Architects
Woolgar Hunter Ltd.