Georgian landmarks lead Ayr regeneration
July 30 2014
Known locally as the ‘pink buildings’, the collection of three A and B listed tenements had fallen into a state of disrepair, suffering from dry rot, leaking roofs and failing stonework.
The latter issue saw contractor CBC Stone brought on board to remove layers of distinctive pink paint from the walls to reveal their original sandstone finish.
The A-listed 1-5 New Bridge Street was designed in 1787 by Alexander Stevens, architect of the original New Bridge across the River Ayr of the same date, to complement its span and serve as his own residence.
Several adjoining buildings, completed in the early 19th century, were also brought back to life in the £2.5m Historic Scotland funded scheme.
A new painted metal balustrade and balconies, cast iron downpipes and gutters, a new shop entrance and painted metal gates have been introduced
Back to July 2014
Like us on Facebook
Become a fan and share
Features & Reports
For more information from the industry visit our Features & Reports section.