Laurieston redevelopment plans submitted
May 11 2011
This calls for construction of 201 homes for social rent at a cost of £23.5m on the site of the now demolished Stirlingfauld Place tower blocks. One remaining Norfolk Court block is scheduled for blowdown between 2014-17.
Page\Park are acting as lead masterplanner for the project, having assumed the reins from Urban Initiatives. They will also design 60% of with Elder & Cannon picking up the remaining 40%.
Learning lessons from neighbouring Crown Street Page/Park are binning previous restrictive design codes which mandated a 1.5m verge between housing fronts and the street, a void which the architects state was “too narrow to facilitate activity and use”, leaving a space that is both unoccupied and unoccupiable.
The result is a contemporary tenemental form defined by apartments, maisonettes and terrace housing within each block, each served by one of three street typologies determined by traffic pressure. All spaces will be laid out in accordance with designing streets principles.
Elder & Cannon have elected for a palette of silver and charcoal brick for their share of housing whilst Page\Park have plumped for mixed red tones for a “softer” effect.
The juxtaposition of two architect’s handiwork is a conscious decision on the part of the developer to inject measured variety into the finished product.
Ian White Associates will handle the landscaping and public realm with £100k will be allocated to public art.
Back to May 2011
Like us on Facebook
Become a fan and share
Features & Reports
For more information from the industry visit our Features & Reports section.