August 10 2009
The first of three planned wings it unites the historic Beaux-Arts museum with a later Marcel Breuer addition with double height galleries and entrance lobby.
Designed in 1916 by local architects Hubbell & Benes, a grand Greek revival pavilion sits as focal point of a formal landscape designed by the Olmsted brothers, a formality obscured by subsequent additions.
Vinoly has resolved these confusing spaces by conceiving a continuous ring of expansion around this historic “jewel”, clearing some later additions to create a central meeting place topped by a gently curving canopy of glass and steel.
The full project is due to complete in 2012.
Back to August 2009
Like us on Facebook
Become a fan and share
Features & Reports
For more information from the industry visit our Features & Reports section.