25 Jun 2008
Castlemilk Stables Block Elder and Cannon
Castlemilk Stables Block
Elder and Cannon
Project: Castlemilk Stables Block
Architect: Elder and Cannon
Client: Glasgow Building Preservation Trust
Structural engineer: Dewar Associates
Services engineer: The Hawthorne Boyle Partnership
QS: Neilson Binnie - McKenzie
Photographs: Keith Hunter
Castlemilk House Stables Block was designed circa 1790 to sit within the grounds of the Castlemilk estates. In the twentieth century it was srruounded by new housing and was retained for a variety of uses. The building is B-Listed, but prior to restoration had become derelict with only the outer walls remaining.
Through the restoration work the outer facades have been a restored to follow the original building profile of natural stone walls and slated pitched roofs over varying volumes. A more contemporary approach has been employed around the central courtyard. A new steel and frameless glazed logia provide the primary circulation route to accommodation within the existing stone and new northern volumes focusing on the recessed central courtyard.
A sustainable approach has been adopted to the services philosophy for the building. The systems are designed to minimise the mechanical requirements of the services and optimise their performance throughout the whole life of the building.