Dockside shipping HQ brings Greenock harbour to the fore
August 10 2020
Clyde Marine has instructed Nicholson McShane Architects to deliver a permanent office HQ and workshop on an upgraded quayside at Victoria Harbour, Greenock, to replace a series of temporary portacabins.
Serving west coast shipping industries the business has operated since 1913 but is now looking to the future by providing staff and customers from upgraded premises.
In a notice of intent, the architects wrote: "The building form is linear in nature and site perpendicular to the river. This will maximise views of the river and the hills beyond from the publicly accessible area of the quayside and for any development along the south edge of the harbour."
Conceived as a modern interpretation of a traditional dockside warehouse the linear pitched roof building stands in parallel to the River Clyde with a raised floor level to mitigate flood risk.
Sweeping away the current cabins the new building will be finished in a mix of brick and timber cladding under a slate pitched roof with additional cobbles and lighting improving the public realm.
A more permanent address will further improve the harbour following delivery of the Beacon Arts Centre
Back to August 2020
Like us on Facebook
Become a fan and share