Glasgow Central’s forgotten catacombs welcome new gin bar
August 27 2014
Aliston Bar & Beef is named after the lost Alston St which ran through the site before being built over in the 1800’s to make way for the station above.
The abandoned space has been brought bang up to date internally and is distinguished by a giant wall mural, designed in partnership with Timorous Beasties, which features a range of local flora and fauna.
In a statement describing what awaits the eateries’ patrons Jesticho + Whiles wrote: “On descending to the foot of an industrial, blued steel staircase studded with underlit lenses, a zinc framed window and pass reveals glimpses into the kitchen, the heart of the restaurant. Three cast glass pendants made of old railway electrical isolators define the division between the kitchen and front of house service.
“Beyond the kitchen, the subterranean setting of muscular brick arches and oxidised steel bracing of the robust, honest and workmanlike railway architecture has been enhanced by contrasting it with the careful placement of new elements. A clean, white marble bar, and sparkling chandeliers made from crystal decanters sparkle in the twilight.”
Tables are arranged around a number of teal and petrol coloured leather banquettes, specified for their harmony with a star pattern mosaic floor.
Photography by Will Pryce
Back to August 2014
Like us on Facebook
Become a fan and share
Features & Reports
For more information from the industry visit our Features & Reports section.