Urban Realm Forthcoming Features
- Odeon - In the dying days of a Glaswegian art deco icon we take one last look around its musty halls before the bulldozers move in to make way for a speculative office development.
- Jimmy Savile - We take a look around the disgraced TV personality's mothballed Glen Coe home and ask whether buildings can be so blighted by association that demolition is the only recourse.
- George Square - As the ongoing fracas over the George Square fiasco continues to play out we ask what the sorry saga says about the state of public procurement.
- Green Design - Chris Stewart of Collective Architecture delves into the 'aesthetics of recycling' examing how practices good for the environment can also be good for design.
- Urban Housing - Malcolm Fraser, a standard bearer for the re-adoption of high density 'colony's' style housing makes the case for a different tack in solving the housing crisis.
- Carbuncles - Months of debate and site visits reach their inevitable conclusion as we reveal the recipient of this year's transformative gong. Squirrel Cottage - This home for an architect is a labour of love on several different levels, culmination of a long-cherished dream to build a family home it also meets the needs of a disabled child in novel ways.
- Carbon Trust Awards - Exclusive coverage of this year's winners is brought to you alongside interviews with the judging panel and a report from the intimate dinner.
- Game Environments - UR speaks to video game fanatics to see how experience of navigating virtual environments can improve our built environments, looking at today's customisable tools which allow the enthusiastic to build entire cities in their bedrooms.
- Smart City - With Glasgow now officially designated a 'smart city' we dig behind the title to find out what it might mean in practice and how it could shape the city for years to come.