Terms & Conditions
Urban Realm Ltd, publisher of Architecture Scotland and Urban Realm magazine, welcomes you to our website. The following terms apply to your use of the The Urban Realm website ('the Website'). By using this website you are deemed to have accepted the following conditions.
Terms & Conditions of Use
- Copyright in the Website is owned by Urban Realm Ltd and its licensors. The Website content must not be copied or reproduced, used or otherwise dealt with for any other reason. You are not entitled to modify or redistribute the content of the Website or reproduce, link, frame, or deep link it in any other Website without the express written permission of Urban Realm Ltd. You are not entitled to use the content of the Website for commercial exploitation in any circumstances.
- The names, images and logos identifying Urban Realm Ltd, Architecture Scotland, Prospect or third parties and their products and services, are proprietary marks of Urban Realm Ltd, and/or may be the proprietary marks of third parties. Any use made of these marks without obtaining permission may be an infringement of rights in those marks and Urban Realm Ltd reserves all rights to enforce such rights.
- Content on the Website is provided for general information only to inform you about industry developments which may be of interest. At no point does it does constitute legal advice (or any other type of advice) and should not be relied upon for this purpose.
- Urban Realm Ltd is providing the content in good faith but no warranty or representation is given that the content is accurate, complete or up to date. Use of content on the Website is entirely at your own risk. Urban Realm Ltd takes reasonable precautions to prevent computer viruses and other malicious programs on the Website and no liability is accepted for them and you must take your own precautions in this respect.
- Information transmitted via this Website will pass over public telecommunications networks. Urban Realm Ltd makes no representation or warranty that the operation of this Website will be interrupted or error free and disclaims all liability in respect thereof.
- This Website contains links to other websites. Urban Realm Ltd accepts no responsibility or liability for any material supplied by or contained on any third party website which is linked from or to this Website, or any use of personal data by such a third party. The inclusion of any link on the Website does not imply endorsement by Urban Realm Ltd, Architecture Scotland or Prospect of the linked site. If you decide to access linked third party websites, you do so at your own risk.
- Parts of the Site contain advertising and sponsorship. Individual advertisers are solely responsible for the content of advertising material, which they submit to us, including ensuring that it complies with relevant legislation. We accept no responsibility for the content of advertising material, including, without limitation, any error, omission or inaccuracy therein.
- Although we will do our best to provide constant, uninterrupted access to the Website, we do not guarantee this. We accept no responsibility or liability for any interruption or delay.
- Changes to these Terms & Conditions
We can change these Terms at any time, without notice, and your continued use of the Services after any change we make will mean that you agreed with the changes. IN THE EVENT THAT YOU DO NOT AGREE TO ANY CHANGE, PLEASE DO NOT ACCESS OR USE THE SERVICES IN ANY MANNER FOR ANY PURPOSE.
- These terms and Conditions shall be governed in accordance with Scottish law.
- Users of the Urban Realm Website may submit material for publication in sections of the Website. Urban Realm Ltd accepts no liability in respect of any material submitted by users and published by Urban Realm Ltd and Urban Realm Ltd is not responsible for its content or accuracy.
- If you want to submit material to the Website you may do so on the following terms and conditions:
- Publication of any material you submit will be at the sole discretion of Urban Realm Ltd and Urban Realm Ltd is entitled to make additions or deletions to any such material prior to publication, or to refuse publication.
- You grant Urban Realm Ltd a non-exclusive, perpetual, royalty-free license to republish any material you submit in any format, and you warrant to Urban Realm Ltd that any material you submit is your own work and that you own the copyright and all relevant rights.
- You warrant that the material you submit is not obscene, offensive, defamatory or otherwise illegal.
- You agree not to post material that is deliberately intended to upset other users.
- You acknowledge that any breach of these warranties may cause Urban Realm Ltd damage or loss and agree to indemnify Urban Realm Ltd in full and permanently against any third party liabilities, claims, costs, loss or damage incurred by Urban Realm Ltd as a result of publishing any material you submit to us, including consequential loss.
- Directory content including Microsites and company profiles (text and images) must not be used to advertise jobs or vacancies. Any jobs or vacancies must be advertised within the Website recruitment section.
Our House Rules
To ensure that our readers can enjoy Urban Realm to the fullest we've established the following House Rules. Comments which fail to adhere to any of these conditions of use will be deleted and repeat offenders may lose the ability to pass further comment. They include anything which may:
- Appear impersonate toward someone else
- Contain swear words or are otherwise objectionable
- Be considered likely to disrupt, provoke, attack or offend others
- Be racist, sexist, homophobic, sexually explicit, abusive or otherwise objectionable
- Contain swear words or other language likely to offend
- Break the law or condone or encourage unlawful activity. This includes breach of copyright, defamation and contempt of court.
- Advertise products or services for profit or gain
- Be seen to impersonate someone else
- Contain links to other websites which break our editorial guidelines
- Describe or encourage activities which could endanger the safety or well-being of others
- Be considered to be "spam", that is posts containing the same, or similar, content posted multiple times
- Be considered to be off-topic for the discussion
Urban Realm welcomes feedback, both positive and negative, but please make sure your comments are in line with the above House Rules.
What is moderation?
Comments on our pages are checked by our editorial team to make the our site a safe and enjoyable place to be, and ensure that they meet the House Rules.
The page author or editor does not usually moderate the content of our pages, although it is their job to keep the discussions relevant to the topic and within the our guidelines. They may close off-topic or other rule-breaking discussions, and sometimes make a decision on comments that have been referred to them by our readers.
Why must we have moderation?
We allow as much freedom as possible to have relevant discussions on our pages. However, we are also responsible for making sure that these discussions stay polite, safe and relevant and do not violate any laws or our editorial policies. This is why we have a set of House Rules that we ask everyone to follow. We only remove messages that break these House Rules.
Moderation is necessary so all users can participate in online communities without fear of intimidation by other users or being subjected to offensive content. Also, people may intentionally or unintentionally post content that is unlawful, putting themselves as well as us at risk of legal action.
Please take care when copying text from someone else's post into your own. If the text you have copied into your post is seen to break the House Rules, your entire post will be removed.
How do you moderate the comments?
Every single comment is checked before it appears on our website.
Reasons for failing a comment
Urban Realm welcomes feedback, both positive and negative, about our stories and news but please make sure your comments are in line with the House Rules. Repeatedly posting personal or offensive comments about individual members of the public or people who work for the Urban Realm may be considered harassment. We reserve the right to remove such messages and take action against those responsible.
We reserve the right to fail messages which:
Advertise a product
Advertising or promoting products or websites is not allowed anywhere on urbanrealm.com. This may include links to:
- Personal websites or forums
- Surveys and questionnaires
- Commercial websites or auction sites that mainly exist to sell products
- Details of charity or fundraising events
Contributions which are not in English are not allowed. This is because we have to ensure comments can be checked and to ensure that all readers of the blogs understand the comment.
In addition to this, postings with heavy text speak or unintelligible language such as codes are also not allowed as this may disrupt the natural flow of conversation.
Risk breaking UK law
Contributing material to a urbanrealm.com community with the intention to commit a crime, break the law, or condone or encourage unlawful activity is prohibited.
In addition we may remove posts which we consider could endanger other users - for example, offering medical and health advice, or encouraging drug or alcohol abuse or self harm.
Copyright law exists to stop someone from taking another person's work and passing it off as their own. It applies to the internet in the same way as it does to TV, books and the press. Breaking copyright law can result in being taken to court.
Please do not post large chunks of text copied from other sources as this may be an infringement of copyright. Short quotes to illustrate a point may be permissible, although this is at our discretion.
Contain potentially defamatory statements
Defamation laws exist to protect individuals or organisations from unwarranted, mistaken or untruthful attacks on their reputation. Posting a defamatory statement on a news page is the same as publishing it in a newspaper or magazine and can result in a court case if a formal complaint is made.
To avoid breaking defamation laws in your comments, please ensure that you verify the information in your posting, especially when presenting negative statements as facts. Also avoid jumping to conclusions, exaggerating or making subtle implications. Remember that adding the word 'allegedly' to a statement does not stop it being defamation.
Both you and the Urban Realm can be held liable if you make a defamatory statement on the our website. So we will remove comments where we have insufficient evidence to defend publication of your statement. This means the our editors may err on the side of caution when considering some comments.
Are abusive or disruptive
Abusive or disruptive behaviour is not allowed on our pages. This includes:
- Using swear words (including abbreviations or alternative spellings) or other language likely to offend.
- Harassing, threatening or causing distress or inconvenience to any person or people.
- Flaming: This means posting something that's angry and mean-spirited.
- Trolling: This means saying deliberately provocative things just to stir up trouble.
- Infringing the rights of, restrict or inhibit anyone else's use and enjoyment of urbanrealm.com
- Attempting to impersonate somebody
- Using multiple accounts to disrupt pages, annoy users, or to avoid pre-moderation.
- Bumping or creating duplicate threads, posting in such a way as to cause technical errors, or any other attempts to disrupt the normal flow of conversation.
Comments that contain offensive content are not allowed on our pages. Racist, sexist, homophobic, disablist, sexually explicit, abusive or otherwise objectionable material will be removed and if extreme will result in immediate and permanent restriction of your access to urbanrealm.com.
Comments that are unrelated to the subject of the news post entry to which you are contributing are considered 'off-topic'.
Please do not contribute off-topic material in news pages. If your comment has been removed for being off-topic, you may be able to resubmit your comment in a more constructive way.
Risk contempt of court
Once a suspect is arrested for an offence, or offences, legal restrictions apply. The 1981 Contempt of Court Act makes it a serious criminal offence, once someone's been arrested, to publish anything which could prejudice their trial. Being arrested doesn't in itself indicate guilt, so messages posted to the page which presume a suspect is guilty also risk defaming the suspect.
Please use caution when discussing reports of an arrest or court proceedings. Even linking to archived news stories, blog entries and comments may be unlawful as UK contempt law would usually prohibit any reference to the previous conviction(s) of someone facing new court proceedings.
In addition, courts sometimes impose restrictions that prohibit the publication of specific information such as names and addresses of defendants.
Spamming or flooding is not allowed on our pages. Spamming means submitting the same or very similar contribution many times across blogs or entries. Flooding means re-submitting your contribution to the same blog or entry multiple times.
Please do not use a signature beneath your comment to promote websites, services, products or campaigns. This will cause your posts to be removed as spam.