New Victoria Hospital, Glasgow
A modern new build ‘Ambulatory Care and Diagnostic Hospital’, approximately 30,000m². The new facility will be fit-for-purpose accommodation providing better access, faster response and a more varied range of appropriate therapies, facilities and services with ambitious, radical service improvement for users and carers.
By 2012, the new ACAD hospital will offer a completely different class of experience to staff and patients alike. The new purpose designed Victoria ACAD will provide out-patient, day case and day surgical appointments, which account for between 85-90% of existing workload to hospitals. The new ACAD will not have in-patient beds and will provide kidney dialysis and chemotherapy services – neither of which have ever been available South of the River Clyde.
- Day surgery unit
- Treatments for blood disorders and cancers
- Adult renal dialysis unit
- Laboratory and pathology services
- Minor injuries unit
- Day hospital for the elderly and 60 new build in-patient rehabilitation beds for the elderly
- GP out of hours service
- Rehabilitation, therapy services including dietetics, physiotherapy, speech and language therapy, podiatry and occupational therapy
- Various clinical facilities
- Structural design and drawings undertaken in a 3D environment
- Integrated structural and building services 3D design models
- Superstructure steelwork designed to act compositely with profiled deck floor slabs, to minimise steelwork tonnage weights. Approximately 2500 tonnes of structural steelwork
- Design incorporates proprietary edge protection systems at all levels including roof eaves to improve on safety with respect to working at height.
- Complex sloping site topography and underlying ground conditions, resulting in a piled foundation and under croft basement
- Surface water drainage systems designed on site in accordance with Ciria 521 and Sustainable Urban Drainage best practice, utilising porous paving, filter trenches, attenuation storage tanks and vortex flow control systems.
- The ACAD hospital facility will be designed under the new building regulations with certification of Design for the structural engineering by AECOM
Back to AECOM
Civil & Structural Engineering Design