Newsletter - Links - Advertise - Contact Us - Cookies
 

Pioneering Glasgow car park to be saved

Bookmark and Share | Send to friend

August 2 2013

Pioneering Glasgow car park to be saved
An architecturally significant parking garage in Glasgow’s west end, The Botanic Gardens Garage, designed by D.V. Wylie in 1911 is to be transformed into a shop and gym alongside a small space for community use.

The plans, which supercede an earlier residential led scheme, have been drawn up by Keppie and will entail minimal external alterations to the A listed structure - after Scottish Ministers refused permission for substantial demolition and new build.

Submitted on behalf of the building’s owners, Arnold Clark, the scheme envisages continued use of a basement area for private parking but will also see the ground floor area transformed into a new retail unit with the first floor transformed into a gym.

This will entail the insertion of new stair and lift cores alongside the creation of a new doorway inside one of the existing windows.

Work to repair and refurbish the faience stonework frontage will also take place in tandem with this work, with existing window frames replaced with double glazed units.

Arnold Clark concede that more of the garages fabric is salvageable than previously believed
Arnold Clark concede that more of the garages fabric is salvageable than previously believed

Post your comments

 

All comments are pre-moderated and
must obey our house rules.

 

Back to August 2013

Search News
Subscribe to Urban Realm Magazine
Features & Reports
For more information from the industry visit our Features & Reports section.